The Rothschild family take their name from the house they occupied in the Judengasse in Frankfurt -‘zum Roten Schild’ (house of the Red Shield). The origins of the family coat of arms can be traced back to 1817.
The Rothschild coat of arms contains a clenched fist with five arrows symbolising the five dynasties established by the five sons of Mayer Rothschild, in a reference to Psalm 127: “Like arrows in the hands of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth.”
The family motto which appears below the shield: Concordia, Integritas, Industria (Unity, Integrity, Industry) can be traced back to 1822.
The Rothschild Archive
The Rothschild Archive was established in 1978 by Victor, 3rd Lord Rothschild. In 1999 the ownership of the Archive was transferred to The Rothschild Archive Trust, an independent body of family members and advisers committed to securing the future of the collection and to developing its use by the academic community.
The purpose of the Archive is to collect, preserve and promote the archives of the Rothschild businesses and family.
The Trustees of The Rothschild Archive Trust administer the Archive as an independent charitable trust in purpose-built premises made available within the offices of the London business.
The Rothschild Archive maintains a comprehensive bibliography of works written and published by members of the Rothschild family.
The Rothschild Bibliography includes over 2,000 works on a great variety of topics, including:
- Travel journals
- Rothschild estates
- Catalogues of collections
- Family histories